Saturday, September 29, 2007

~Fear~

I wonder…what life would be like when there are no constrictions and the sky is the limit. According to legal principles, life without constrictions means there won’t such a thing as the law. This means, everybody is allowed to do whatever they want without consideration to the lives of people around them, regardless of whether what they are doing is right or wrong.

However, when I ask what life would be like without constrictions, I don’t mean without living life at the opposite side of the law. What I meant was living life to the fullest without the constrictions of the mind. A long time ago (with consideration to the older generation) when we were children with our bright, innocent minds, we feel that life should be all about ice cream and bumpy balloons. We don’t put limits upon our ability to express ourselves. Whatever we think, we say. We were at our most honest moment when we were miniature versions of ourselves. What happened? What happened to the naivety, the ability to find happiness and contentment in the smallest things and the ability to be honest to others?

What would life be like without constrictions? I know I’m being ridiculous here because after all, I am studying the law and the law is all about restrictions and locking up. I know I’m being naive and all but really. What would it be like to stop worrying about what others think of me and just let go of all the mental, psychological chains and just be myself.

Why? This is the question I’ve been asking myself ever since I realized I actually give a damn about others. How do they feel, how they think and what are they thinking. Every time when I see someone who’s not someone I’ve known since high school or elementary school, unhappy or feeling the blues. I freeze. It just seems like I don’t want to care. Why? I don’t know why.

Fear, it is a factor. It is a factor to me. I’ve come to the conclusion that I am just a plain old coward. I don’t know, sometimes I like to think that I’m brave and some people had mentioned it to me before and even complimented me on it. But, really, am I? Now I understand why certain people act the way they are. It is because they are afraid. They are afraid of many things and this fear differs on people. It makes people do stupid things, say thoughtless stuff and hurt others around them. It makes humans reckless and irrational. Fear is something that manifests itself in us slowly over time. It is not a piece of dirt which we can just pick it out and throw it away. No, it always there.

Fear is a great weapon. a country who is powerful from all aspects has highly technologically advanced weapons that can blow you up the moment you say ‘No!’, an enormous army on both land and sea at their beck and call. Due to vast amount of power and influence, other countries are wary and afraid of them. It had lead to several dire consequences that had affected the majority of the world’s population.
There is a saying which I strongly believe in. There is nothing to fear but fear itself. I can already see many heads nodding and agreeing with me. After all, don’t all our problems arise from the word ‘fear’? I’m not saying that fear must not exist in the world. It has to exist as handcuffs to bind people form endangering themselves or one another. But what of, there is no fear? Will we truly be able to achieve even greater things? Will we, ultimately, show the true potential in us.

Fear. We have to live with it and yet praying to be able to live without it.

No comments: